There's a whirlwind of things that go through my mind while I'm taking pictures...
One thing that I can't get out of my head lately is the photographer Diane Arbus. The "Twins" photo is a tribute to her: her life, her work, and most of all her life-time obsession with using her camera to reveal and connect. She also did this because she needed to; not wanted to, but had no choice. I think the true character of an artist is his daily hunger to create something and say something to the world.
I don't know that I feel that same yearning, but I consider myself an artist nonetheless.
These photographs are my way of saying whatever it is I want to say.
Now what do I want to say?
First, I'm learning many things through this type of portraiture... about myself. Some of these "revelations" are indescribable, and I take my time to articulate them.
One other thing I must say: slow-shutter speed is purely magical. I stop and think about each movement of a body part because it's like using a paint brush against canvas. Imagine the effects YOU could create while the shutter is wide open, ready to soak in whatever you decide. Quite powerful stuff.
These are awesome Rebecca, I absolutely love them and the lighting. I can imagine myself in them....which I find quite powerful myself :)
ReplyDelete